This Thursday, I will be leading the ExpressWay to Growth (TM) workshop “The Challenges of Growing a Business in 2014” for 12 business owners. In advance, I’ve asked the attendees to reply to me with their answer to this question:
If you could learn one thing, solve one problem, or answer one question, what would it be?
Here are the responses I’ve received. After each one, I’ve added the ExpressWay to Growth (TM) Accelerators that relate to it:
- Great leaders and innovators like Steve Jobs had a vision for what his company would be — what it would stand for. It had nothing to do with the products or services. It was bigger than that. Others like Richard Branson, Paul Orfalea (Kinko’s) and Fred Smith (FedEx) had/have visions they believe(d) in. Throw in Zuckerberg and countless others. How do you know when it’s right? There are countless others who went “all in” and it did not work out. What is the difference between those that made it work and those that did not? Is it personality? Confidence? Vision? Luck? Drive? All of these? Accelerator #1: Why are you doing this? and Accelerator #8: How do you lead the way?
- How to manage less and lead more. How do you lead by example when your job is completely different? Accelerator #8: How do you lead the way?
- Learn one thing: How to tether the line between operational efficiency and being a lean company. Answer one question: How to create accountability to marketing spend. Solve one problem: Help folks to figure out their brand idea- that one thing that differentiates their company from any one else in the world… and more importantly, how to communicate that to their potential customer. Accelerator #3: Where do sales come from? and Accelerator #5: Where do you excel?
- Learn how to better organize and prioritize my tasks/projects. Accelerator #5: Where do you excel?
- What is the best way to penetrate markets to grow the top line outside of the standard broadcast marketing programs? Target networking? Join different Chambers? Join affluent organizations? Accelerator #3: Where do sales come from?
- Getting more market share in an increasingly competitive market while still maintaining profitability. Decisions are still largely based on the low cost provider, yet the quality of service and the delivered project can vary. Accelerator #4: Why do customers buy from you?
- How can you run you company with a more democratic authority structure, but still reach the goals that one has as the owner of a business? Accelerator #1: Why are you doing this? and Accelerator #2: What is the personality of your business?